Do I need to submit a tax return?

Do you fall into any of the following categories between 6th April 2016 and 5th April 2017?

If so, you will be required to submit a tax return to HMRC by 31st January 2018

  • You were self-employed

  • You got £2,500 or more in untaxed income, for example from renting out a property or savings and investments

  • Your savings or investment income was £10,000 or more before tax

  • You made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax

  • You were a company director - unless it was for a non-profit organisation (such as a charity) and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company car

  • Your income (or your partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimed Child Benefit

  • You had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on

  • You lived abroad and had a UK income

  • You got dividends from shares and you’re a higher or additional rate taxpayer - but if you don’t need to send a return for any other reason, contact the helpline instead

  • Your income was over £100,000

  • You were a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme

  • You had a P800 from HMRC saying you didn’t pay enough tax last year - and you didn’t pay what you owe through your tax code or with a voluntary payment

  • You are a religious minister

  • You are a Lloyds underwriter

Contact us now for FREE advice about your tax return

Featured Posts
Recent Posts